Posted in Inside DQE on 12.16.2020
Getting to Know: Chris Hays
While his outside interests are extensive, in his role as Manager, Network Planning and Permitting for DQE Communications, Chris Hays is focused on the niche data networking arena. Chris and his team are responsible for planning, costing and permitting DQE’s future and current projects. Read on to get to know more about Chris.
- Name: Chris Hays
- Length of time with the Company: This past July, I’ve officially been with the company for 13 years. I also spent eight months as a contract employee prior to being hired, so this November will be 14 years, including that role.
- Department: Network Planning and Permitting
- Job Title / Brief Description of Your Role: As Manager, Network Planning and Permitting, my team is responsible for planning, costing and permitting our future and current projects.
- What drew you to work at DQE Communications? To be honest, my plan at the time was to step away from the communications industry and work as an independent contractor remodeling houses. I was away from the industry for about seven months when I received a call from a cycling friend telling me that DQE was looking for someone with my background. Having previously worked for a large communications company, what appealed to me was the idea of joining a small company (at the time) and being a part of a team that would grow us to where we are today.
- What is the most rewarding part of your job? Customer satisfaction. Whether that customer is a company customer, one of my team members or a fellow co-worker.
- What is your favorite activity or hobby? It’s a love-hate relationship. I’ve tried to walk away a few times over the past couple years, but keep getting back to it. I’ve ridden across the state, raced 100-mile mountain bike races, competed in 24 races solo, but there is still more to do. Tour Divide and the Iditabike are on the radar – now which one will the wife let me do?